On Wednesday, May 6th, subscribers to Angela’s website
will be receiving ideas & instructions to prepare Mom an at-home Mother’s Day Tea Party! We asked Angela to share one of her favourite tea time recipes. This weekend we gave the recipe a test run… and they were simply delectable. Enjoy!
Lavender Brownies with Cherries
A chic take on a brownie. These make a decadent dessert when served with whipped cream or ice cream, or just serve them by themselves with your favourite beverage. Either way, they are just delicious! Note: You will need a toaster oven that holds an 8-inch by 8-inch pan. Otherwise, divide the batter between two smaller dishes and bake each separately. The cooking time remains the same.
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup dried cherries
1 cup chopped walnuts
3 tablespoons lavender flowers
1 cup butter
1 cup cocoa
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Makes one 8-inch by 8-inch pan
Tools and Equipment: Mixing bowl, microwave-safe baking dish, mixing spoon or flexible spatula for blending ingredients.
Preheat the toaster oven to 350 degrees F. Butter an 8-inch by 8-inch baking dish.
1. In a bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, cherries, walnuts, and lavender flowers.
2. Melt the butter in the microwave in a microwave-safe bowl. Stir in the cocoa. Blend in the sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
3. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix thoroughly.
4. Pour the batter into the baking pan.
5. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until done.
6. Cool and dust with icing sugar.
Garnish suggestions: Fresh Cherries when available mint sprigs if being served as a dessert
Excerpted Recipe from “Simply Summer” Deliciously Easy Gourmet Meals with Tips for Elegant Living” By Angela Tunner aka The Renaissance Gourmet © 2007 Eat Like a Millionaire Omnimedia Inc.