Valentines Day has historically struck fear and loathing into the hearts of single people everywhere. But it doesn’t have to be that way! I’ve put together some options if you find yourself sans date this year, like me.
Just call up a friend or five, your Ma, your niece, your neighbour, your Granny (you get the idea), pick your favourite scenario and run with it… let the love fest begin!
- With my 3 year old niece: Odessa is one of my favourite people in the world, even though she sometimes throws tantrums in public when she misses her nap. I do things with her that are short and engaging. This Valentine’s Day I may take her to Colour Groove Ceramics in White Rock to paint a little heart vase for her Mom. After that we could go to Tracycakes Bakery Café for high tea (she loves the babycakes), then a walk on White Rock beach if she’s still in a good mood.
- With my best girlfriend: I don’t exactly have one best friend, but if I did she would love antiques shopping. We would bundle up and go to Fort Langley to browse the Little White House, Village Antiques, Country Lane Antiques, and more. When we got tired enough we’d head over to Eighteen 27 for a delicious late lunch and of course martinis! Yes, this sounds like the perfect best friends day out!
- With a group of girlfriends: With a group of girls, you can really have fun going out. Gather up 5 or 6 fun-loving ladies, dress up in something sparkly and hit the Waterstone Grill in Langley, Tap Restaurant in Surrey, Bravo Restaurant in Chilliwack, restaurant 62 in Abbotsford, Lava Dining & Lounge in Maple Ridge, or your favourite local eatery. After drinks and dinner, head over for some dancing at the Vanilla Room in Langley, the Social in Surrey. Because dancing with your girlfriends makes you feel happy no matter what’s going on in life! Who cares if we’re not officially ‘club age’ anymore? Those young’uns could use a few pointers!
- With my Mom: Since my Mom has an unexplained love for pedicures, I would have to treat her on Valentines Day. We also share a love of great movies. So I think I’d opt to have my friend Michelle of Soulful Indulgence come over and give us some treatments at my Mom’s place while we eat pizza and watch Carey Grant movies.
- With Myself: If I’m going to spend the evening alone on Valentines Day, I’m going to be prepared! First, a shopping trip just for me at Nectar Lingerie in Fort Langley; because I deserve great underwear even if I’m the only one to appreciate it! Then I would head over to XHale Beauty Salon in Surrey to get my hair and make-up done for a sultry photo shoot!!!! The photographer is Maria from Frozen Reflections and I know the pictures would turn out great! Once that’s done, it’s time for dessert and live music at the Watershed Arts Café in Langley or Evangeline’s in Chilliwack. Perfect solo Valentines!
You don’t have to hide this Valentines Day if you’re single. Pick a date and go out and have some fun… I’m going to!